Frequently Asked Questions


How do I license my dog and what is the cost?

Dogs need to be licensed the 1st of every year with the municipality in which you live. In the City of Chetek, the cost is $6.00 if spayed or neutered / if not $12.00 per year. $5.00 penalty after March 31st. A copy of the current rabies certificate (not receipt) is required for licensing. If you wish to mail in your fee and certificate, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope and we will return your info and license. There is a two pet limit – which includes dogs/cats. No animals are allowed to run at large. Pets must be leashed when walking.

Tax Payments

Where do I make my tax payments?

Your full or first installment tax payment can be made at City Hall between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday during the months of December and January. You may mail in your payment to PO Box 194, Chetek, WI 54728. Please make your check out to City of Chetek. Your second installment or any payment made after January 31st must be made out to Barron County Treasurer – and either brought to the County Treasurer’s office at 335 E. Monroe Ave. Room 2412, Barron, WI 54812 or you may mail the payment to them.

Make my Tax Payment online: click here

Yard Clippings/Brush

How do I dispose of my yard waste?

The Chetek Compost Site is OPEN to City of Chetek Residents ONLY. Please click HERE for hours.

You can also view the Calendar of Events for days the Compost Site is open and for Spring/Fall Brush Pick-up dates.

There are separate areas for compost and brush. Please organize accordingly before you arrive at the compost site.

Bartender's Licenses

How do I obtain a bartender license (operator license)

In order to obtain a license you must have taken the Responsible Beverage Server’s Course or have held a license in Wisconsin within the past two years– if you need to take the course, this can be done through WITC (1-800-243-WITC) or can be done On-line at  Bring your certificate of completion to City Hall, fill out the application and pay the current license fee.  Your application will then be sent to the police station for a background check. If approved, the license will be issued at City Hall. If not approved by the police department, your license application can be reviewed by the Common Council. The Common Council has the final issuing authority.

Location of City Offices

City Hall

Next to Gordy’s grocery store off 2nd Street.

Public Works Building

Across the street from the fire station on the north end of town. From Dallas Street – take a left onto Cty Hwy “D” west.  Then take the second left onto Railroad Avenue – building on right side of road.

Police Station

From 2nd Street – go one block east (towards lake) On the corner of Moore and 1st Street. Community Center: across from the police station.


On the corner of 4th and Moore.  From 2nd Street – go west on Moore.

Treatment Plant

South end of town next to dam.  Take Douglas Street west then a right on Water Street.

Municipal Court Fines

Where do I pay my fines?

Your fines can be paid at the Police Station at 101 Moore Street 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Monday – Friday.  You can also mail in your payments to PO Box 537, Chetek, WI 54728  If you need to speak to someone regarding your fine – please call (715) 924-3686.

Online Citation Payment - click here  |  Please call Kathy at (715) 924-1051 if you do not have your citation number

Dumping Station for RV's

Dumping Station for RV's
You may use the dumping station located on Water Street – next to the Treatment Plant.  Operation hours are May through end of October, hours 7:30 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. until 3:30 p.m.  Fee is $10.00 each use.

Garbage Service

Is Garbage Service mandatory?

The City provides garbage service. This service is mandatory. If a residence will be unoccupied for longer than 30 days, you may request to have the service canceled by filing an application at the City Clerk’s Office. A maximum of three (3) 35-gallon containers may be put out for pickup.  Please have your garbage out early in the morning or the night before if in containers.  Only normal household garbage should be put out.  Construction material will not be picked up. You can pay to have household items picked up by contacting City Hall.

Households with occupants age 60 and older are eligible for a senior citizen garbage rate if the home is your primary residency. Inquire at City Hall.

Utility Billing

Utility Billing

Your water/sewer and refuse services are combined on one bill and billed monthly.  The payment due date is usually the 21st of the month.  You may mail, direct pay via checking/savings account, or you can drop it off at the City Clerk’s Office located at 220 Stout Street.  There is a lock box between the doors for the convenience of paying after hours. There is also a lock box located at Gordy’s Market at 719 2nd Street.

Fluoride in the Water

Fluoride in the Water

The City of Chetek does not add fluoride to the water


Is recycling mandatory?

Barron County requires recycling of plastic, glass, tin, aluminum, and cardboard/paper. Bring your items to the recycling center/bins located on Water Street. Glass is separated by color. Plastic, tin, and aluminum can be put together. Clean cardboard/Paper is recycled in a separate bin at the same location on Water Street.

Anyone found leaving misc garbage at this location will be subject to a fine.

For questions on recycling: call (715) 357-6566, email, web

Property Maintenance

Property Maintenance

Residents/occupants are required to keep their sidewalks clean from snow and debris. There are also ordinances regulating grass and weeds on property, junk, and general upkeep of property. Questions regarding any of these matters can be directed to Joe Atwood, our building/zoning administrator. He is in his office at 1125 Railroad Avenue on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from noon until 3:00 p.m. at (715) 925-2012 office or cell : (715) 764-2948

ATV/Snowmobile Maps

ATV/Snowmobile Maps

Available at City Hall – 220 Stout Street

Council Meetings

Council Meetings

Held every month on the second Tuesday – 7:00 p.m. at City Hall in the back chambers. All public are welcome to attend. Click here for more information.